Today the Tour de Romandie held a press conference detailing the route and making various announcements.
The Swiss stage race starts in 12 days, running from April 24 to 29th. 695 kilometres with 8,793 metres of climbing - which roughly equals sea-level to the peak of Mont Everest (Mallory started well above sea-level, wimp).
Here's the official 2012 Tour de Romandie promotional video (see Cadel blush while being kissed):
We'll do a more detailed course / rider preview just before the race but after the jump are five quick items to satiate the over-eager:
- Romandie is the French speaking part of Switzerland (think Geneva, Lausanne, Gruyère, a few Jura mountains, and some Alps).
- They have a truly great free iPhone App. Including live race updates and route maps/profiles among many other features. Yes Sui, there is an android version.
- It will be a star studded field. Cadel Evans will return to defend his 2011 victory. Mark Cavendish has also confirmed as have many other stars - more here.
- The Jerome Coppel fan club will be in attendance. Let me know if you want an invite!
- Yes, as always, a stage will ride by UCI headquarters in Aigle. I believe it is required by Swiss/UCI law.
The "Kop Coppel" at the 2009 Romandie Prologue:
Photos by Will.