It's the day after the day after, time for reflection on what this all means for the future. How will things change? What will we tell our children? Yep, Ivan Basso's move to Discovery truly heralds a new day.
- VN has the most complete reaction from Disco and the man himself.
- Eurosport: Basso liberated
- Riis is in mourning but not for long, as Sastre takes over. As Mr. 60% says in Overcoming, people have no idea how good this guy is. Not sure that's true still, or it won't be sometime soon.
The roundup, on the flip:
- Jose Rujano looks to be close to a move to Caisse d'Epargne. We treated him like a punching bag this year, and not without some justification, given his bizarre course and total lack of results. But remember: he's only 24, giving him two more years of membership in the U-27 Project. And also, if you think it's hard for Americans to move to Europe, imagine what it's like for a Venezuelan going to Belgium. Other than Quick Step wanting a climber and Rujano wanting a payday, it's hard to see why anyone thought this would be a good fit. But unlike Americans, a Venezuelan need only jump to a Spanish outfit, and suddenly the biggest barrier to going overseas -- language -- is gone.
- Pez previews the former Davitamon's new sponsor: Predictor, maker of pregnancy tests. If that doesn't generate enough bad puns, their kits will be "salmon pink," which has already resulted in one "swimming upstream" line at Pez regarding Robbie McEwen. No word on whether he resembled a lumbering Puget Sound Chum or a more spry Coastal Coho. Anyway, I plan to spend the Predictor era calling the team Lotto.
- VN updates the David Millar trial. Apparently they intend to let him off for good behavior, which is a face-saving way of saying they lack evidence. Money quote:
- Stealing from CN, there's a showdown brewing tomorrow on the DNA issue:
Where does McQuaid stand on DNA?
- Truly weird story of the day... deleted, I forgot NE Observer posted this yesterday.
- Pez gets retro with Bernard Thevenet and his sideburns.
- Oh, and you know you want to know what Chris Horner thinks.