With the Grand Tour season behind us, it's time to refocus on those one-day warriors who will animate the World Championships and the three remaining classics that follow. But first, a note from our race organizers:
OK, nothing ever seems final, regardless of what's said, in the unending struggle for world supremacy between the UCI and the Grand Tours. And here, it doesn't sound like the differences are all that stark: two fewer teams, a couple less races, and everyone goes home happy. However, that would probably undo some sticky contracts, so all we can say now is that this promises to drag on about as long as Baseball's realignment. Someday Sage will be posting about the latest spat...
On da flip:
Anyway, it's World Championships Week, and no, we will not be doing rainbow colors in the sidebar background.
- VeloNews launches its WC preview with a list of guys who think they can win. One of whom, it must be admitted, is Alex Vinokourov... who himself has already started talking about his 2007 Tour bid.
- Pez kicks off the Nostalgia angle with a look back at the treacherous 1982 championships in Goodwood, England.
- Big transfer news: Pippo Pozzato is leaving Quick Step, having been crowded out (scroll down) by their rash of signings.
- Back in Spain, it's time for the Vuelta to congratulate itself for a lovely race.
- Lastly, this headline from CN:
Headed no doubt by new DS Austin Powers.