The feedbag returns! With something of an emphasis on the Giro, natch.
- The riders are arriving in Palermo. Check out Danilo DiLuca's chance meeting with Gilberto Simoni at the airport. DiLuca's wardrobe selection is something between champion's prerogative and taunting. Gibo... well, I always knew he was wired differently.
- Same scene, only with video! Fans seem excited. Ricco seen tossing luggage. La Gazzetta is going to be feeding us hours and hours of unnecessary video and graphics all month, I'm happy to say.
- Wonder how often the Giro comes to Sicilia? This perusal of history explains (in Italian). Skinny: First time in 1930. Most recently, 2003. (Is that right???)
- I love Giro director Angelo Zomegnan, openly taunting ASO and boasting that the Giro is the only race featuring the winners of all three 2007 Grand Tours. The whole idea of solidarity among the Giro, Tour and Vuelta is kind of a farce.
- The Vicious Angel wraps up the win in Asturias.
- Minor note: loos like Lampre have a new temporary sponsor in NGC Medical. Every bit helps.
- RAISport, another go-to site all this month, is saying that DiLuca is stumping for the starting stage to be in Pescara, Abruzzo, in 2009. Either that or it's been announced and he's just playing ambassador. Anyway, this year stage 7 is the Abruzzi event, and it's got DiLuca's name all over it.