Another sprint stage? Not hardly. As typically happens in the last (of several) flat stages before the mountains begin, it was a day for the breakaways, as 12 riders got free of the peloton and were never seen again. Serguei Ivanov enlivened the finish with an 8km solo attack for the win, but the bigger story was George Hincapie's ascension into yellow. All day long he hovered around virtual yellow, with a small margin to spare, and all day long it seemed like it would pan out in the end. But it didn't. Stage results:
- Serguei Ivanov, Katusha
- Nicholas Roche, AG2R, at 0.16
- Hayden Roulston, Cervelo Test Team, s.t.
- Martyn Maaskant, Garmin-Slipstream, s.t.
- Sebastian Minard, Cofidis, s.t.
The General Classification did change a bit:
- Rinaldo Nocentini, AG2R
- George Hincapie, Columbia-HTC, at 0.05
- Alberto Contador, Astana, at 0.06