Thank goodness, the Tour kicked into high gear at last. Little to add, other than a somewhat expected result for first, but a really, really spectacular battle underway for the other two podium places. Plus the answer to the question, can Lance really win the Tour? [Hint: nope.] Stage results:
- Alberto Contador, Astana
- Andy Schleck, Saxo Bank, at 0.43
- Vincenzo Nibali, Liquigas, at 1.03
- Frank Schleck, Saxo Bank, at 1.06
- Bradley Wiggins, Garmin, s.t.
- Carlos Sastre, Cervelo Test Team, s.t.
- Cadel Evans, Silence-Lotto, at 1.26
- Andreas Kloden, Astana, at 1.29
- Lance Armstrong, Astana, at 1.35
- Kim Kirchen, Columbia-HTC, at 1.55
Massive shakeup on GC, of course:
- Ablerto Contador, Astana
- Lance Armstrong, Astana, 1.37
- Bradley Wiggins, Garmin-Slipstream, at 1.46
- Andreas Kloden, Astana, at 2.17
- Andy Schleck, Saxo Bank, at 2.26
- Rinaldo Nocentini, AG2R, at 2.30
- Vincenzo Nibali, Liquigas, at 2.51
- Tony Martin, Columbia-HTC, at 3.07
- Christophe Le Mevel, Francais des Jeux, at 3.09
- Frank Schleck, Saxo Bank, at 3.25
Winners: Contador, both Schlecks, Wiggins, Nibali. Nice rides by Matt Lloyd, Brice Feillu and some other newcomers.
Losers: Lance, Cadel Evans, Christian VandeVelde. Carlos Sastre rode decently once he recovered from the first acceleration, but his opportunities are slipping away.