Pretty predictable stage today, being a lumpy sprint stage on the race's opening weekend. Some years in the run-in or in the earlier phase of the stage when chasing down a break becomes more urgent, the sprint teams can get a little disorganized, particularly when nobody is sure who the favorite for the sprint is. Teams with lesser chances start looking around at someone who they think should be responsible for pulling. But with Columbia and Cavendish having established such a dominant reputation, when it came time to chase the inevitable break, Saxo Bank just pulled over and Columbia shot right to the front. Crazy finish with riders missing a turn, but the final-final was as predictable as ever. The results:
- Mark Cavendish, Columbia
- Tyler Farrar, Garmin, s.t.
- Romain Feillu, Agritubel, s.t.
- Thor Hushovd, Cervelo, s.t.
- Yukiya Arashiro, Bbox Bouygues, s.t.
- Fabian Cancellara, Saxo Bank
- Alberto Contador, Astana, at 0.18
- Bradley Wiggins, Garmin, at 0.19