Gasping for breath after the jump.
Colle delle Finestre via cyclingchallenge (@ youtube)
A few random thoughts:
- The steepest short ramps seemed to be around the second kilometre. The rest of the climb is generally very steadily steep @ 8.5% - 10%. No place to rest.
- The first 10 kms are beautifully paved - and narrow - with loads of hairpins as the road climbs through a forest.
- I saw just two motor vehicules. A road sweeper, and a truck painting fresh white lines on edges of paved stretch. Beautiful.
- The 8 unpaved kilometres were clearly just flattened over for the Giro - note the steam roller parked at the top. Very smooth, especially the first few kms. But it may deteriorate a little with all the fans and support cars.
- At the top are two monuments to Danilo Di Luca - he was first over Finestre in 2005, it's only other Giro appearance.
- Easy to miss: above the Colle is an interesting "garden" with monuments celebrating the most famous cycling climbs (Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia, Ventoux, Tourmalet, Izoard, Galibier, and Alpe d'Huez)
Smoothest un-paved road evah?
If interested, a few of my Finestre pics at FLICKR are here along with some from a sunnier day (taken by Eric the domestique).