Who was the Women’s Rider of the Year in 2021?
This poll is closed
Anna van der Breggen
Annemiek van Vleuten
Elisa Longo Borghini
I think we have our bases covered here? It’s more about the full season than particular results — notably missing are the World Champion, the Olympic Champion and the first-ever winner of Paris-Roubaix. None of whom had full seasons that are anywhere close to the top.
If you aren’t sure which Dutch woman to vote for, you could note the following:
- van Vleuten won Dwars, de Ronde, the Olympic time trial and the Vuelta, among her second-best 12 victories
- van der Breggen, third with 10 wins, took the Omloop and Fleche Wallonne along with the Giro.
- Vollering’s four wins included the Tour de France “La Course” and LBL.
- Vos cranked out another seven wins including Amstel and Gent-Wevelgem.
- Wiebes sandwiched 11 other wins in between her season opening win in the Scheldeprijs and her season-ending win at Drenthe.
Or you could decide to vote on a non-Dutch rider. Like Longo Borghini, who added Binda and Plouay to her palmares. Kopecky’s eight wins, mostly in Belgium, were still nothing to sneeze at.
Or you could just decide among the awesome Dutch names. Van der Breggen appears to mean from the break — so perfect — while van Vleuten is from wings. Vollering means full ring, or completion — is everyone in the Netherlands secretly named after cycling? Not Vos, which means fox, although maybe there too?